8.23.2007

Kid A


While searching MySpace Music for Radiohead's "Idioteque" from their beloved album "Kid A", I stumbled upon an artist by the same name. This KID A happens to be a talented 19 year old woman from Virginia who blends sassy, jazzy vocals and bangin' beats into something uniquely her own. Her EP "Night//Vision" was released on the 18th and can be purchased on her MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/kidakidauk). Go get an earful while you learn more about her below:

Q: What is your real name? How did you get the name "KID A"?
Well, I was born in ‘88 as Ann Alexander Thweatt (pronounced like "sweet" with a lisp). That last name is a handful. Not a lot of people can pronounce it right at all. So, I knew I was going to have to use some other alias.

When I was thinking about a name I started to look through my Cds; you know, at album titles or their track listings. Nothing sounded right until I saw Radiohead’s KID A album. It’s my favorite album by them. It’s their best moment in music, I think. Just absolutely brilliant. I just wanted to take that name and use it as my own creative identity. They’re a group that has always inspired me so it’s a bit of an homage as well.

Q: Who is "KID A"?
KID A is a 19 year old girl with an intense love and appreciation for music. Good music. Music today is in jeopardy. It’s so sad. It’s passion, creativity, and distinction is gone. So, KID A is a new alternative for listeners.


Q: What is your musical background?
I’ve been around music since I was born, thankfully. My grandpa always played jazz around me musicians like: Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, and Dizzy Gillespie. And groups like: Weather Report. So I love jazz. Jazz fusion. My mother was my source to rock n roll. She got my started with The Beatles, David Bowie, and Steely Dan.

I first began playing instruments in the fifth grade. I played the viola. By sixth I played the clarinet. I gave that up and learned to play guitar and bass. I only practiced at home, but in high school I was able to form a band with friends. I discovered my vocal ability when I was started singing lead. That was an interesting experience for me.

Q: How would you describe the music you make?
Eclectic, refreshing, and different.
Q: Who are you listening to these days?
These days I’ve been really crazy about Dj Mehdi, TTC, YELLE, Joy Division, The Cure, Prefab Sprout, Kate Bush, and Klaxons. The French electro scene is just so crazy. I love what they’re doing. It’s so amazing. And I always look to Britain for great, great music, whether it’s a band from the yesteryears of the latter 70s to early 80s. Or a new band that has resurrected an old sound.

Q: What do you want to say about the imminent release of your EP "Night//Vision"?
Night//Vision is mash-up of school girl trials and tribulations. Secrets. Stories. Light in some areas, dark in others. My heart goes into everything I write and produce, but this, by far, is my favorite EP. I knew I was leaving for university soon and I just wanted to leave music behind that I would be pleased with. Music that people would want to and love to discover.
Words by: Miss Ash

No comments: